As the days run past me, I am beginning to prepare myself for the BIG CHANGE. Everyone asks me how I feel about leaving, and I give some half-ass response like 'yeah, I'm excited'. I can't even begin to explain to them the enormity of this change that is just around the corner. There is no way I can define my feelings in a word or a sentence, or in a simple black and white way. I feel that most people see it as moving from the 'first world' to the 'third world', which is so not how I see it. I cannot wait to be back in the family, the house, the city, where I spent 22 years of my life - to be reacquainted with the old, and be introduced to all the new in New Delhi.
This is from the statement of purpose I wrote as a part of my grad school application - "It is only when one is suspended outside one’s environment that one begins to understand oneself. I seek to detach myself from the strong cultural roots of my country in order to have a deeper understanding of their influence on me."
I feel that these two sentences really capture what I had intended to do - to learn more about myself as an individual - and even though there is no end to this pursuit, I know that I have surpassed my own expectations. I have gained experiences, friends, knowledge, discovered a lot about myself, acquired basic cooking skills, and so much more! I am grateful for this journey, and now its time to go back :)
Yesterday I woke up and realized there was no food in my refrigerator. I headed out in search of good food and this is what I found - homemade Indian style Fish Fry, with rice, lentils, and spinach. So good!
well, it's not going back, Surbhi! You can never enter the same river twice. It's a beginning of something new looking similar to what you are used to have before. I thought I came back but I came somewhere else.
I know what you mean. It is somewhere else, but I feel like I have been flowing very close to the river so it won't be difficult to merge into it. I'm so so happy and I can't wait! 2 weeks to go :)
well, it's not going back, Surbhi! You can never enter the same river twice. It's a beginning of something new looking similar to what you are used to have before. I thought I came back but I came somewhere else.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean. It is somewhere else, but I feel like I have been flowing very close to the river so it won't be difficult to merge into it. I'm so so happy and I can't wait! 2 weeks to go :)
ReplyDelete